The Corner highlights a young man making a way for himself in the music industry. Marquise is an accomplished songwriter, in addition to being a singer, vocal producer, model, actor and an artist. He has endured many hardships being born in Texas and raised in Daytona Beach, Fl. For Marquise to elevate in his career, he had to leave his comfort zone, he now resides in Peoria, IL. This move led him to start his own journey in life and Keedie’s Corner is here to tell his story.
•So how long have you been working in this field?
• Professionally I have been working as a songwriter since 2008. I have worked on a number of projects and also I have worked with a plethora of different artist, including; Cassie (Bad Boy), N.O.R.E. (Def Jam/ Roc-La-Familia/Babygrande Records/Conglomerate), Stevie J. (Bad Boy/Love and Hip Hop Atlanta) and Benzino/Dave Mayz (Source Magazine/Hip Hop Weekly Magazine) are a few clients.
●What made you lean towards this career path?
● Ever since I was young I’ve always had a passion for music, and a niche for singing and writing. It just felt right for me to pursue music 100%. My mother was a great musician who was murdered at a young age. From hearing everyone in my family talk about her story and how she could’ve really made it, I felt almost as if it was my destiny to follow in her footsteps and accomplish what she was supposed to.
●What was your best achievement in this field thus far?
● I feel as though my best achievement thus far is having the songs that I’ve written being played on the radio, like the N.O.R.E. and Cassie song I penned, “Baby Girl”. It was Dope because not only did I write it, they kept my vocals on the track from where I referenced the track for her. I was super excited to see how good of a reaction the song received! Another achievement for me was to be apart of the first season of Love And Hip Hop Atlanta with Stevie J and Benzino.That was a major blessing and experience I will never forget!
●What is your main hardship or difficulty working in this line of work?
● I feel the main difficulty working in this industry for most is not understanding the years of hard work behind the scenes you have to do before anyone knows who you are. I literally use to write songs and come up with concepts before they knew my real name, and not some made up nickname they gave me. For some, instant gratification is something they feel they need and unfortunately it doesn’t work like that. It takes years of hard work before anyone knows who you are.
● What is a funny or lighthearted moment you can remember in your career?
• I remember when I was at my first video shoot with Stevie J (Bad Boy/ Love and Hip Hop) and Benzino (Source Magazine/ Hip Hop Weekly), we were in between scenes and this girl asked me for a picture and my autograph. I looked at her like she was crazy and hesitated for a minute and then Stevie J laughed at me and was like, “Give her your autograph and your number, Welcome to Stardom Young Boy”. Looking back at that day I was one of the main frontmen for the video and I still hadn’t realized it yet. Everytime I think about it I burst out laughing.
● What advice do you have for up & coming songwriters who plan to pursue this career path?
• Work hard, stay humble, and be patient. So many people want to just do 1 or 2 things and they feel like they’ve earned their way into stardom. It doesn’t work like that, being humble and understanding the amount of hours it takes to become a professional is very important. Without dedication and patience you wont survive.
● Are you affiliated with any companies or organizations?
• Hip Hop Weekly Magazine, Plush Recording Studios, Orlando Recording Studios (ORS) and Heavi Boy Records.
● What past work or future work can we look up or look forward to?
•This summer I am releasing an EP entitled “Love Marquise”, the first of 3 installments. Im releasing those through itunes, google play, and my website https://www.lovemarquise.com
● How can the readers follow you on social networks?
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LoveMarquise
- Instagram: @lovemarquise
- Twitter: @lovemarquise
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TVMarquise
DO YOU NEED YOUR STORY TOLD?
Keedie’s Corner Online Magazine specializes in media production and can satisfy your promotional needs; We produce Visual Interviews, Written Interviews, Articles, Ads, and Radio Interviews (H.ME. radio out of Las Vegas, NV & Ear Kandi Radio out Fort Lauderdale, FL). We also provide EPK’s , Written Bios, Song Writing, Personal Publicist and more.
Written by: Keidra Ponder
Published by: Keedie’s Corner 2014